Nia is an expressive movement practice that uses The Body's Way to achieve physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual fitness and well-being.
From the very first moment we started Nia, we were challenged to find a way to describe it. Over the years, definitions have come and gone, including some unexpected ones from ancient wisdom. No matter how you describe Nia, one thing is for sure - Nia is medicine for the body, mind, and spirit.
We say that Nia is a lot like the Tao. It cannot be defined by any one word or by a single phrase. It cannot be limited to a single way of thinking or perception because it is always evolving and changing, uniquely touching each and every person who experiences her.
Nia is personal. It is a sensation that can only be felt. It's like Chocolate. You have to taste it!
- Nia - Neuromuscular Integrative Action - is founded on the concept that there is a dancer, martial artist, and highly aware person within you. By melding various concepts together, Nia sets this person free.
- Nia is a worldwide fitness movement with over 22 years of technical advancement.
- Nia is the first, and the most advanced, form of fusion fitness - the combining of two or more classic movement forms. It encompasses the martial arts, the healing arts, and dance arts. This combination creates a synergy that no isolated technique can match.
- Nia is revolutionary, replacing the idea of punishment with pleasure. Nia advocates doing things the easy way instead of the hard way.
- Nia is to exercise what holistic medicine is to health care. Nia is movement as medicine.
- Nia is a cardiovascular program that uses whole-body, expressive, grounded movement, rather than repetitive jogging or lifting.
- Nia is adaptable to every level of fitness, every age and type of body, even those with special limitations.
- Nia is effective and fun!