Kyk-Over-Al
Word of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Article of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

This Day in History
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Today's Birthday
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

In the News
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Quotation of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Hangman
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary
Google

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My batik design on display without my knowledge or permission


Stabroek News

Dear Editor,

As a trained artist, who majored in Textile Designs and minor in Graphics Art, I am very concerned about the rights of artists in this country. I have all along been observing the suffering and frustration artists have been going through with regards to plagiarism and sometimes by their own fellow artists.

As a close associate of the famous Phillip Moore, I have often listened to his numerous complaints on this subject and it has always been food for thought; I guess it must have been the foremost reason I have settled to be an Art Educator rather than being a practising artist. It was not until recently that I have come to fully appreciate why Phillip Moore is always speaking out the way he does.

After I was called by one of my fellow tutors at the Burrowes School of Art, I could hardly believe what I was listening to on the television programme Guyana Today on Friday morning, live on April 21, 2006. Mind you, I did not say looking at...I was not surprised to see an "artist" appearing on the show, advertising her upcoming show to the public. The nightmare came when I recognized my piece of batik design on display, without having any knowledge of how it got there, not to mention the various pieces of my students' work. This individual has just resigned as the English and Art History tutor of the art school and should be au fait with the rules and regulations of the institution that prohibit students from displaying or exhibiting assignments done during the course leading to their final exam, etc.

I would just like the public and viewers of the big upcoming show to know what they are supporting. Let your conscience be your guide.

Yours faithfully,

V. Ramsammy

Tutor,

Burrowes School of Art

(Textile Designs)


Link Posted by jebratt :: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------