Kyk-Over-Al
Word of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Article of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

This Day in History
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Today's Birthday
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

In the News
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Quotation of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Hangman
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary
Google

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I Of Martin Carter by Michaela V. McRae


On a personal level, I would like to offer my sincere appreciation to both Elizabeth Alleyne and Michaela V. McRae for submitting the wonderful works which, I must admit moves me quite deeply and reaffirms my long held belief that Guyana has some of the most creative souls on this planet... To both ladies, I say thank-you not only for your poetic works, but for kindness in sharing with me and all the readers who frequent this site... There is no doubt in my mind that your works not only help soothe some of the pain that Guyanese feel, but also inspire all artists throughout teh world to follow their passions... I will forever be indebted to you both ...


l Of Martin Carter
 
I felt humbled
As I stood on the threshold
Of your mind,
The windows of your soul
Generously opened
To let in the sun.
 
And I stood there,
Rooted to the spot,
While you bared your chest
Offering your heart to the world,
The treasure of hard-laboured thought
Spilling its blessing freely
Onto the road,
So that
Anyone who passed
Could partake
Of the historical repast.
 
In the house of your sorrows
We come and go as pilgrims
Who share your dreams.
But just the shadows remain
After dark.
Can you feel, my friend?
 
So painfully alone!
Standing in the rain of your tears,
Germinating within your wisdom trees
In the garden of your hopes,
I could still see
The storm of your anger
Riding the sunset deep into the West,
 
Hanging over the roof of the past,
Where you sheltered all stray thoughts
And orphaned memories of the world.
Where you prayed for all loves
Found and lost,
And the few that were cursed.
 
The promise of tomorrows
Lives within the shadows of yesteryears.
We are chained to our past
Even as we inevitably
Step into our future.
But you are always near.
 
by Michaela V. McRae
 
first published Kyk-over-al
by kind permission of the poet
 
note - this piece is still being formed and refined as the poet
relives memories of a friend and of her responses to his work.



Posted by jebratt :: Sunday, April 23, 2006 :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------