Kyk-Over-Al
Word of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Article of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

This Day in History
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Today's Birthday
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

In the News
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Quotation of the Day
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary

Hangman
Free website content provided by The Free Dictionary
Google

Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Learned My Name


I learned my name
When first you called it
and the sound issued forth
between pillars of wind and sky.
It was when you led me
under the dome of understanding
and I looked into the mirror
of breath you held so hurtingly
inside you,
that I was brought into being.


Through catacombs of awareness
we spider along,
leaving behind us memories
fragile as gossamer webs,
while the weeping concave waits;
waits like a sage
with wisdom's omniscient patience and grief.
A rejected offering,
Knowing neither how to spend itself
Nor how to call my name.

(Shana Yardan in A Treasury of Guyanese Poetry)

Posted by jebratt :: Thursday, September 29, 2005 :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------